Tuesday 8 September 2009

NaNoWriMo 2009 - anyone interested ?

Hi guys,



I thought I could share a word with you on National Novel Writing Month (AKA NaNoWriMo).



For those who've never heard of it - it's a writing challenge that takes place every november and the challenge consists in writing a 50,000 word-novel in 30 days. It sounds mad but believe me, it's feasible - I managed to achieve this incredible score last year even with a full-time course at the Tech and a part-time job. It's not a contest - there are no winners and losers, no prizes (apart from the incredible satisfaction of having written a full novel !). It's the ultimate kick in the butt, the opportunity to fight writing procrastination - with a lot more fun !



Everyone knows writing is a solitary experience but NaNoWriMo makes it a collective one as you can join a worldwide community on the website http://www.nanowrimo.org/. All you need to do is register and make yourself a profile. There are also forums where you can share tips, feelings, frustrations, etc. Joining is free, although donations are welcome. Local meetings also take place and Derry is also included. The Nanowrimo website has regional forums but you can also ask me.


As for the novel you want, it can be about absolutely anything. Since the challenge is more about quantity than quality, it's OK if your writing is crappy - you don't have to publish your stuff and have it read by other people. It's all about finishing a first draft by the end of november - you have all the rest of the year to edit and polish your work.

I've already done Nanowrimo twice and am doing it again this year. As we are all storytellers in this collective, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to join me in the noveling madness.

Just leave a comment or mail me if you're interested.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the type of thing I would into, but I just wouldnt have the time at he minute.

    ReplyDelete